I saw this on YouTube and thought it would be fun. Who would you choose and why?
THE RULES: you must invite 11 guests, and there must be:
1. One character who can cook/likes to cook. Lafayette Reynolds from True Blood. He’s a short order cook at Merlotte’s and a native of Louisiana so he knows how to make a mean gumbo.
2. One character who has money to fund the party. Jay Gasby from The Great Gasby. Jay’s not only rich, but he doesn’t mind spending endless amounts of money for parties he doesn’t attend.
3. One character who might cause a scene. The Queen of Hearts from Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. If people aren’t having fun, she can threaten to have their heads.
4. One character who is funny/amusing. Queen Eleanor from John Goldman’s The Lion in Winter. Married two kings, slept with the father of one and on several occasions plotted the demise of her husband (King Henry II) and sons. I think she’s the only woman who’d give The Wife of Bath a run for her money.
5. One character who is super social/popular.Shug Avery from The Color Purple. I need someone who can sing and flirt with all my guest.
6. One villian. Lord Voldemort from the Harry Potter series. He just needs some friends.
7. One couple – doesn’t have to be romantic. Schroeder and Lucy from the Peanuts comic strip. Shug needs someone to play for her and the Queen of Hearts needs someone to argue with.
8. One hero/heroine. Pippi Longstocking. Like Queen Eleanor, Pippi is well traveled and plucky, and I would love to hear her stories as well.
9. One underappreciated character. Beneatha Younger from A Raisin in the Sun. I feel like Beneatha is seen as only a foil to Walter Lee and not a driving force in her own right. I bet when she’s not with her family she is insightful and more relaxed. Wait…can I choose another? It’d be Penelope from The Odyssey. She waited twenty, TWENTY! years for her husband while he plowed every water nymph and siren from Troy to Ithaca and you know what Odysseus wants to do as soon as he gets home? Take her to bed.
10. One character of your own choosing. Tea Cake from Their Eyes Were Watching God. But he’d have to leave the rabies at home.